Monday, October 17, 2005

Hong Kong

Hello

It's our last day in HK now, we've been taking it easy and not been rushing around seeing all the sights in the whole province. We were planning to take the train to Hanoi but when we went to book our tickets we found out that one of the trains we needed only runs on a wednesday and a sunday! Basically it would have taken about 3 days which might have been bearable if it was really cheap but it was going to be about 100 quid. Well we bit the bullet and decided to fly, 200 quid, 2 hours. I guess my poker money will be coming in handy.

Hong Kong has been cool, after the trauma of booking our tickets we went across the bay from Kowloon to Hong Kong island and stumbled across Lam Kwai Fong, the bar district where they were doing a rio carnival style thing, loads of people on the street dancing and drinking with parades and shows going on. We also went up on the peak last night to see the view. The weather has been hazy for the past few days so the views weren't as good as they can be but it was still good.

I'm really lookinng forward to Vietnam, just booked a double room (at Darling backpackers Binx) for $4 a night. Planning to do trips to Sapa and Halong Bay. I feel like we're going to be really travelling soon instead of doing expensive city breaks.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did I not tell you I'd arranged a welcoming carnival for you? Must have slipped my mind!

I'm sure you'll make up for the city travelling soon enough. I guess it was a nice way to find your wandering feet before being set adrift in some jungle or other!

Monday, 17 October, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey gayboy, here's my fist comment: "you suck". I know it's not big and it's not clever but then neither are you so it's quite fitting really. I'm afraid I'm too busy probing the cosmos to actually read these blogs so I'll just use the other comments as a sort of summary.
Japan sounded like a laugh though. Did you manage to find takeshi's castle?? Clearly thats the only sight that really matters....

Vietnam seems nauseatingly cheap - I spent more than that on just having some BranFlakes this morning.
$5 eh? That'll last "long time". hohoho.

Monday, 17 October, 2005  
Blogger Ash said...

Ah Duffy, i knew you'd come through.

I'd like to award a prize to Matt as my keenest blog follower and contributor, clearly got a lot of time on your hands eh?

Monday, 17 October, 2005  
Blogger Simon said...

£200?! DHL do a worldwide service, all you'd need is a large container with air holes.

Maybe consider this for your flight home?

Monday, 17 October, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah Sapa, fond memories. It's nice to here Alan moan about all the work he's doing. Personnally I have done bugger all so far. Though I did endeavor to go out with my supervisor and the other academics last friday (on expenses of course).

I have to agree about Takishi's castle, I'm pretty sure all the other sites owuld pale in insignificance.

Have a grand ole time in Vietnam, don't be put off by the miserable buggers that live in Hanoi.

Bendy

Monday, 17 October, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry Ash, when you get back from travelling you'll realise the wonderful world that is graduate unemployment.

I get to do fun jobs around the house though. Currently I'm hanging around waiting for some guy to come about our drive. Bet ya can't wait to come home!

Tuesday, 18 October, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow it seems like we've turned Ash's travel blog into a general dumping ground for us all to moan on, good job boys! I notice Ash hasn't had any comment from any ladies yet, i always thought there was something a bit funny about him.... perhaps Alan got it right in his earlier comment, hmmmm.

Wednesday, 19 October, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did I mention that he's buying me a laptop?

-- Bendy

Wednesday, 19 October, 2005  
Blogger Ash said...

Hahaha, you guys crack me up, especially tom. I never knew steve could be such a smug bastard, an ugly side of his character rarely seen.

Dave, thats a good point about the ladies, maybe i'll send them an email deploring them for their lack of interest.

Thursday, 20 October, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

.... is this cheating on the "no posts from girls" front?!?

Thursday, 20 October, 2005  
Blogger Simon said...

No suze it's not cheating, unless.....




no..that's wrong.

Thursday, 20 October, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home